Future of Royston’s old post office pub still unclear
- Credit: Archant
The future of one of Royston’s most recognisable buildings remains unclear, with its owners considering their options for the site.
The Old Crown pub, housed in Royston’s old post office on Baldock Street, closed before Christmas when the Bramwell Pub Company, who owned the lease on the site, went into liquidation.
Now the lease on the building, which has been used as a pub for more than a decade, has reverted to McMullens Brewery, who own the site’s freehold.
Peter Furness-Smith, managing director of McMullens, said: “We now have the option as to whether to re-let it to another pub company, individual or restaurant group or to manage the pub ourselves. We expect to finalise the options shortly and will then make a decision.”
He added: “It is possible we will decide to make an investment and upgrade the offer to make the pub more appealing to those who live in Royston. If that is the case we will take it under management and possibly review the name.
You may also want to watch:
“In the meantime we will be making a planning application to extend the ground floor space to the rear and try and get more light into the building from the side elevation windows.”
The pub has been known by various names, including The Post Office and The Barracuda, since transferring to a pub.
- 1 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 5 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 8 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
The opening of JD Wetherspoon’s pub The Manor House, in nearby Melbourn Street last year hit the Old Crown’s trade, and the pub was not among Bramwell Pub Company sites which were snapped up by other firms.
As reported in the Crow in December, the closure left several groups of people who had paid deposits on Christmas dinners out of pocket. However, the group’s administrators eventually provided these people with refunds.