Future of 127 bus service secured as new contractor appointed
- Credit: Archant
THE future of a vital bus service has been secured after a new operator was found for the route.
Fears had been raised that the 127/128 route which serves Guilden Morden, Bassingbourn and Royston, would be affected by service cuts when the contract with current operator, Charter Travel, is terminated at the end of this month.
But now a new firm, Cozy Travel, has agreed to take over the route.
Bassingbourn’s County Councillor Linda Oliver (pictured) said she was “pleased as punch” that a new deal had been agreed.
She said: “It really is terrific news. You hear so many negative stories about local transport but I never had any doubt we would be able to find a new operator.”
You may also want to watch:
Cozy Travel will take over the route on April 2, and Cllr Oliver said the timetable will remain largely unchanged, with only a few “minor tweaks”.
She said: “Reliability is the most important thing and it’s great we’ve been able to secure a well-known local company to take over. Most of the people who use this bus don’t have a car so it really is a vital service.
- 1 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
“There will be some sadness because the passengers have got to know the drivers so well over the years, to the extent that some of them exchange Christmas cards, but I’m sure new relationships will form.”