Fundraising football match in Bassingbourn this weekend in final push to get Izzi to Disney
- Credit: Archant
A group of dads whose sons play for Royston FC under 11s are to play in a Bassingbourn charity football match which they hope will be the final fundraising push to send a five-year-old girl with cancer to Disney World.
When Izzi Ferns was diagnosed with lukaemia last year, her family set a host of fundraisers to try to reach £10,000 to send her to the Florida resort, with the latest being the football match organised by family friend Talha Juneja.
Talha said: “We’re a bunch of dads who fancied a kick about ourselves so we started a team, Weaintright Utd, as a social thing.
“I heard about Izzi’s story and thought if we are playing football, we should raise funds for this cause at the same time.”
Talha got friends involved who set up another team in Bassingbourn.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses in the area have supported the cause, including The Heath, Master Fryer, Primary Care People, Ashiana Spice and Stage Right Centre for the Performing Arts who donated £150 and are helping out on the day.
Principal Kerry Hay said: “It’s rewarding for me and some of my staff to help out with good causes like this and being a part of this community, it’s nice to take some time out and spend time with people from the community from a purely social perspective.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
Talha added: “We just want everyone to have a nice day and raise the final £1,500 to get Izzi to Disney.
“This is a brave little girl who has already been through more than any child should endure.”
There will be a bouncy castle and face painting for the children, and kick off is at 2pm on Sunday at Bassingbourn Recreation Ground. To donate go to gofundme.com/getizzitodisney.