Fundraising dog walk across Therfield Heath in Royston is cancelled due to ‘hot weather danger for dogs’
- Credit: Archant
The organiser of a fundraising dog walk across Therfield Heath on Sunday has cancelled the trek due to risk she says the hot weather could pose to the animals.
Eve Marchant, from Royston, co-ordinated the event with fellow dog walker Tanya Godfrey for Barking Mad Dog Rescue – and said taking the dogs out during the daytime on Sunday could be dangerous.
She told the Crow: “We’ve had to cancel the walk. We are upset it’s not going ahead for the charity, but this hot weather is deadly.
“Dogs don’t sweat like we do, and have problems regulating their temperature – they can’t cool down, and their paws will burn on the pavement.
“Even if you think your dog’s all right, and they look all right, chances are they won’t be. Keep them in the shade or indoors with plenty of water to be safe.”
According to the Met Office, the weather is set to reach 25°C on Saturday, and on Sunday – when the walk was due to take place – it’s set to be 27°C and sunny. It’s expected to be the same on Monday.
Barking Mad Dog Rescue, in aid of which the walk was to be held, works to save and rehome abandoned dogs in Romania.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 6 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
And both organisers are keen to reschedule when the weather is more tolerable for their four-legged friends.
Anyone wanting to express an interest in the walk, from the heath car park to the Fox and Duck in Therfield and back, can email Tanya at email@example.com.