Fundraisers make a splash for cash at Melbourn Sports Centre
- Credit: Archant
Fitness fans in Melbourn have been taking part in a variety of sponsored events to help raise cash for their community swimming pool repair fund.
Melbourn Sports Centre is a non-profit organisation and centre users, young and old, have taken on a marathon swimming challenge, Ironman challenges and an Aqua Fit marathon to drum up funds in the last six months.
It has now been announced that almost £8,000 has been raised from the challenges and donations from firms TTP Group, Tesco, Hotel Chocolat and Fieldgate Nurseries.
Manager Graham Mack said: “We have been fortunate to be able to keep the facility constantly running to a high standard since its 1991 inauguration.
“But we now need to make some essential ‘wear and tear’ repairs in order for our indoor swimming pool to continue functioning properly for future generations to enjoy and to learn to swim in.
You may also want to watch:
“We are overwhelmed by the generous support we have received from the community, especially those who put in all that hard work in the pool to raise so much money - without them, we would have struggled to achieve our goal.”
For further details on Melbourn Sports Centre, based at the village college in The Moor, drop in, call 01763 263313 or head to www.mc-sport.co.uk
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 7 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob