Fun run success!
MORE than 250 young runners lined up on Therfield Heath on Sunday for the 2001 Royston Fun Run.
Organised by Royston Runners, the 5k race was started by town mayor Cllr Martin Beaver who stayed to cheer on competitors and hand out trophies to winners.
First over the line was Macaulay Brown, a 15-year-old Bassingbourn Village College student, who recorded a time of 12 minutes 18 seconds. Emma Schaertlin Coffey of Cambridge and Coleridge running club was first girl to finish in a time of 13 minutes 14 seconds.
Macualay said: “I was second in my age category last year, so it’s great to win this year.”
There was an impressive turnout from Steeple Morden Junior School, St Mary’s School and Chrishall Primary and Pre-School. The Royston branch of Barclay’s Bank also sent a team.
You may also want to watch:
Race director Maurice Hill said: “The fun run is a great community event and I never fail to be impressed by the enthusiasm of all the children and young people taking part.
“This year we’ve had massive support from several local schools and this kind of team spirit sums up what the fun run is all about.”
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 North Hertfordshire's inspirational volunteers recognised in awards
- 4 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 5 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 6 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 9 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 10 Have your say at virtual town meeting