‘From the age of five I wanted to fly’ – RAF veterans of yesteryear to share their stories at IWM Duxford this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to IWM Duxford will have a chance to hear from RAF veterans this weekend, with pilots, navigators and others on hand to tell their stories.
Those returning include Les Millgate, pictured, who served as a pilot on Gloster Meteors at RAF Duxford and later became an airline pilot.
He recalled: “From the age of probably about five I wanted to fly – so just as soon as I could, at the age of 18, I volunteered for the air force.
“This was 1950 and that was it – and all these years later here I am still talking about aircraft.”
Stan Dell, who spent three years at Duxford as a ground equipment mechanic, said: “I always walk around Duxford with great memories of happy times which directly led to the success I achieved in later life.”
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the event this Saturday and Sunday must be bought in advance from iwm.org.uk.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 4 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 5 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 9 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 10 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing