‘From the age of five I wanted to fly’ – RAF veterans of yesteryear to share their stories at IWM Duxford this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to IWM Duxford will have a chance to hear from RAF veterans this weekend, with pilots, navigators and others on hand to tell their stories.
Those returning include Les Millgate, pictured, who served as a pilot on Gloster Meteors at RAF Duxford and later became an airline pilot.
He recalled: “From the age of probably about five I wanted to fly – so just as soon as I could, at the age of 18, I volunteered for the air force.
“This was 1950 and that was it – and all these years later here I am still talking about aircraft.”
Stan Dell, who spent three years at Duxford as a ground equipment mechanic, said: “I always walk around Duxford with great memories of happy times which directly led to the success I achieved in later life.”
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the event this Saturday and Sunday must be bought in advance from iwm.org.uk.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton