‘From the age of five I wanted to fly’ – RAF veterans of yesteryear to share their stories at IWM Duxford this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to IWM Duxford will have a chance to hear from RAF veterans this weekend, with pilots, navigators and others on hand to tell their stories.
Those returning include Les Millgate, pictured, who served as a pilot on Gloster Meteors at RAF Duxford and later became an airline pilot.
He recalled: “From the age of probably about five I wanted to fly – so just as soon as I could, at the age of 18, I volunteered for the air force.
“This was 1950 and that was it – and all these years later here I am still talking about aircraft.”
Stan Dell, who spent three years at Duxford as a ground equipment mechanic, said: “I always walk around Duxford with great memories of happy times which directly led to the success I achieved in later life.”
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the event this Saturday and Sunday must be bought in advance from iwm.org.uk.
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 9 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate