Friends’ group celebrates 60 years
A GROUP for people who have reached retirement age celebrated its 60th birthday with cake, sherry and Baileys.
The Bassingbourn Over 60s Group was founded 60 years ago, and on Tuesday marked the occasion with a party.
The group, which has more than 30 members from Bassingbourn and Kneesworth on its books, meets once a week to enjoy activities.
“We’re a very sociable bunch,” said Daisy Dellar, who runs the group with husband Derek.
“Whenever it’s anybody’s birthday, they bring in sherry and the cakes. And we’ll go on day trips together to all sorts of places.”
You may also want to watch:
The group, which was founded in 1952 by Charlie Ford, marked its 60th birthday with a cake, and members brought in sherry and Baileys to drink. Members are also planning a special lunch next month.
“We had a nice day, and we’re looking forward to the lunch although we don’t know where we’ll go yet,” added Daisy.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
“We’ve got such a range of people, and one or two in their 90s.”