Friends’ group celebrates 60 years
A GROUP for people who have reached retirement age celebrated its 60th birthday with cake, sherry and Baileys.
The Bassingbourn Over 60s Group was founded 60 years ago, and on Tuesday marked the occasion with a party.
The group, which has more than 30 members from Bassingbourn and Kneesworth on its books, meets once a week to enjoy activities.
“We’re a very sociable bunch,” said Daisy Dellar, who runs the group with husband Derek.
“Whenever it’s anybody’s birthday, they bring in sherry and the cakes. And we’ll go on day trips together to all sorts of places.”
You may also want to watch:
The group, which was founded in 1952 by Charlie Ford, marked its 60th birthday with a cake, and members brought in sherry and Baileys to drink. Members are also planning a special lunch next month.
“We had a nice day, and we’re looking forward to the lunch although we don’t know where we’ll go yet,” added Daisy.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 4 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
“We’ve got such a range of people, and one or two in their 90s.”