Free compost to be made available in village
FREE compost is to be made available for green-fingered residents of Thriplow. County councillor Susan van de Ven contacted waste management firm Donarbon after a suggestion from a local allotment holder that compost be made available at the village recyc
FREE compost is to be made available for green-fingered residents of Thriplow.
County councillor Susan van de Ven contacted waste management firm Donarbon after a suggestion from a local allotment holder that compost be made available at the village recycling centre, on Gravel Pit Hill.
She said: "Until now, residents have had to drive all the way to Waterbeach to collect their free compost, meaning more traffic, more burning of petrol, more cost to householders.
"While there will be no charge for the compost, there will be a goodwill box and donations will be given to a local charity, probably to be decided upon by the local community," she said.
You may also want to watch:
Thriplow Recycling Centre is due to undergo some extension and upgrade work from mid-October, with a finish date of February. The compost will be available after that.
Cllr Van de Ven said: "It has been suggested by allotment holders that the compost be supplied loose and people bring their own bags which I think is a good idea.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
"The new system will be up and running for springtime - good timing for vegetable growers," she said.