Fowlmere woman gearing up for London Marathon despite setbacks from potentially life-threatening genetic disorder
- Credit: Archant
A Fowlmere women with a potentially life-threatening illness said she is determined to finish the marathon.
Hayley Woods suffers from cyclic neutropenia, which means she is regularly admitted to hospital for minor infections, yet she says it won’t stop her taking on the challenge.
The trade union officer for the Royal College of Nursing has only managed to get up to eight miles during training, by doing a mixture of walking and running.
In February, the 33-year-old developed a serious ear infection which meant she ended up in A&E, and caught a virus from being run down.
The virus has meant Hayley is behind on her training, but she is still determined to complete the marathon on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Hayley said: “I’m really nervous as I don’t know what to expect – I think it will be quite an overwhelming day.
“I hope the noise from the crowds will get me round and I cannot wait to see my family and friends cheering me on.
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 4 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
“While I am very nervous, I am also very excited and I can’t believe that it has come round so quickly.
“My fundraising has been going well and I have raised around £1,000 so I am half way there. Everyone has been so generous and supportive.”
Hayley is running the marathon for Genetic Disorders UK.
You can sponsor her by visiting her page at www.justgiving.com/Hayley-Woodsgeneteam.