Fowlmere village pub could be taken over by members of community under right to bid
- Credit: Archant
People living in a South Cambs village are putting plans in place to buy a pub that recently closed down.
After the Queens Head in Fowlmere shut a few months ago, the parish council applied for the building to be added to the list of assets of community value due to interest from members of the community in buying it.
Now it’s over to those living in the village to express an interest – or lack thereof – in purchasing it under the Community Right to Bid.
Chairman of Fowlmere Parish Council Lawrence Wragg said: “Residents of the village have shown a certain amount of interest in buying it so the parish council has taken the initiative to give them the opportunity to do something, if that’s what they want to do.
“It really has to be the residents that actively want to do it. It depends if there is enthusiasm for it, if not it is down to someone from the outside.
“The Queens Head was an old fashioned village pub. The owners have put it on the market, which is the right thing to do. The first place to go if people are interested in getting involved is the Facebook group ‘Fowlmere Residents’.
“There are very few facilities in the village, we don’t have a post office or a doctor’s surgery or shops.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
“A pub is something that can add to the community, and the Queens Head could add something different to the other pubs in the village.”
Members of the community have until Wednesday, May 11 to put forward a written expression of interest to South Cambridgeshire District Council if they wish to be considered as a potential bidder for the property.
Any bid put forward would have to compete on the open market.
To put forward an expression of interest to South Cambs District council, then send an email to email@example.com.