Former England Footballer Peter Shilton to open Royston's new all-weather pitch
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston s new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the p
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston's new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the pitch, located at the Meridian School in Royston.
The pitch is now complete, and will be used by various sporting clubs from Crow Country, as well as the school itself. It comprises of a full size pitch, which can been sub-divided into three mini pitches for training purposes.
Funding for the pitch came from a number of sources, including the Johnson Matthey Sports and Social Club, and the Football Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation said: "We warmly congratulate Royston community, Meridian School and the Herts FA for their hard work and dedication in securing this award.
"Sport is playing a central role in helping people to stay fit, strengthen communities and promote responsibility amongst young people," he said.
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 8 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 9 Isthmian League reveal why they want to terminate non-league football 'at the earliest opportunity'
- 10 'We're breaking' - Lister Hospital staff 'tearful' and 'on their knees' as COVID cases double
Jenny Probert, the sports development officer at Meridian School said: "The new facility at Meridian School is going to be a great asset to Royston and I'm sure the whole community will benefit from it being here. It is great to be working on such an exciting project and I look forward to getting things started!"
The opening ceremony will take place on September 21.