Former England Footballer Peter Shilton to open Royston's new all-weather pitch
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston s new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the p
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston's new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the pitch, located at the Meridian School in Royston.
The pitch is now complete, and will be used by various sporting clubs from Crow Country, as well as the school itself. It comprises of a full size pitch, which can been sub-divided into three mini pitches for training purposes.
Funding for the pitch came from a number of sources, including the Johnson Matthey Sports and Social Club, and the Football Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation said: "We warmly congratulate Royston community, Meridian School and the Herts FA for their hard work and dedication in securing this award.
"Sport is playing a central role in helping people to stay fit, strengthen communities and promote responsibility amongst young people," he said.
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Jenny Probert, the sports development officer at Meridian School said: "The new facility at Meridian School is going to be a great asset to Royston and I'm sure the whole community will benefit from it being here. It is great to be working on such an exciting project and I look forward to getting things started!"
The opening ceremony will take place on September 21.