Footballers help pupils score learning goals
A PAIR of professional footballers helped school pupils score learning goals this week. Wayne Hatswell and Robbie Willmott, from Blue Square Premier side Cambridge United, visited a Year 7 class at Bassingbourn Village College and sat in on a geography le
A PAIR of professional footballers helped school pupils score learning goals this week.
Wayne Hatswell and Robbie Willmott, from Blue Square Premier side Cambridge United, visited a Year 7 class at Bassingbourn Village College and sat in on a geography lesson.
Teacher Sam Findlater, who organised the visit, said: "This week we are holding what is called 'immersive week', where the usual timetable is collapsed and more in depth learning experiences are provided for in a memorable way.
"It was exciting for the students that two of their favourite Cambridge players came in to help, as well as being good for the community.
You may also want to watch:
"Bassingbourn Village College and Cambridge United are both focal points of the local area and this collaboration was a winning combination."
Fellow teacher Chris McIntyre said: "The children have been doing a geography project about football, looking at things such as where football grounds are sited, and the effect they have on the community.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
"We've also talked about the relationship between successful teams and large areas of the population."
Winger Willmott, who came through the youth ranks at Buntingford FC under the guidance of current Royston Town boss Paul Attfield, and central defender Hatswell watched the children at work and answered their questions.
"The pupils wanted to know about the stadium, and also about life as a professional footballer in general. It was a really good experience for them," said Mr McIntyre.