Flower festival brightens winter
MELBOURN S annual winter flower festival provided a blooming marvellous day out. Flowers of all shapes and sizes adorned All Saints Church in the village for the three day festival, which took place last weekend. Organiser Rebecca Gatward said: There we
MELBOURN'S annual winter flower festival provided a blooming marvellous day out.
Flowers of all shapes and sizes adorned All Saints' Church in the village for the three day festival, which took place last weekend.
Organiser Rebecca Gatward said: "There were displays with various themes all around the church, some representing festivals of light such as Candlemas, Diwali, and Hannukah, and others representing winter scenes, such as tobogganing on Therfield Heath.
"The National Association of Flower Arrangers did a big display about the winter solstice, which was hung over the altar in the church," she said.
You may also want to watch:
The festival raised about �1900, which will be put towards the cost of the new All Saints' Community Hall in Melbourn.
Rebecca added: "Luckily the snow held off until after the weekend, and the festival was very busy.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 10 Three household waste collection crews suspended
"We had visitors from all over the place; Sussex, Oxfordshire, and all parts of Hertfordshire.
"There were lots of arrangements of colourful and plain white flowers, and it was a very successful weekend," she said.