Flower festival brightens winter
MELBOURN S annual winter flower festival provided a blooming marvellous day out. Flowers of all shapes and sizes adorned All Saints Church in the village for the three day festival, which took place last weekend. Organiser Rebecca Gatward said: There we
MELBOURN'S annual winter flower festival provided a blooming marvellous day out.
Flowers of all shapes and sizes adorned All Saints' Church in the village for the three day festival, which took place last weekend.
Organiser Rebecca Gatward said: "There were displays with various themes all around the church, some representing festivals of light such as Candlemas, Diwali, and Hannukah, and others representing winter scenes, such as tobogganing on Therfield Heath.
"The National Association of Flower Arrangers did a big display about the winter solstice, which was hung over the altar in the church," she said.
The festival raised about �1900, which will be put towards the cost of the new All Saints' Community Hall in Melbourn.
Rebecca added: "Luckily the snow held off until after the weekend, and the festival was very busy.
- 1 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Sign up to Rainbow Run in aid of our hospitals
- 8 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 9 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 10 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
"We had visitors from all over the place; Sussex, Oxfordshire, and all parts of Hertfordshire.
"There were lots of arrangements of colourful and plain white flowers, and it was a very successful weekend," she said.