Flight takes off for 50th anniversary
THE Battle of Britain Memorial Flight launched its 50th anniversary season at the Duxford Imperial War Museum, on Saturday. And it gave the crowd the chance to see it in its new colours which were chosen to commemorate RAF squadrons No 100 and No 550. The
THE Battle of Britain Memorial Flight launched its 50th anniversary season at the Duxford Imperial War Museum, on Saturday.
And it gave the crowd the chance to see it in its new colours which were chosen to commemorate RAF squadrons No 100 and No 550.
The event was attended by ex-Battle of Britain pilot Gerald "Stampe" Stapleton.
Tracey Woods, the museum's marketing and public relations manager, said Duxford was "delighted" and "honoured" to be chosen for the opening of the anniversary season.
You may also want to watch:
Our picture, left, shows one of the iconic Spitfires while, above, is the legendary Lancaster.
During the day the public had the opportunity to meet the pilots and crew of the flight and take a close ground-level look at the aircraft.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- This season's Spring Air Show will be taking place at Duxford on Sunday, May 20.
- This year's Flying Legends Air Show which will include classic British and United States war planes will be on Saturday, July 7 and Sunday, July 8.