Firefighter on the run for charity
A FIREFIGHTER will be taking part in the gruelling London Marathon on April 26 to raise money for a charity which supports his two-year-old son who has special needs. Paul Smyth, 31, of Fieldfare Way in Royston, is hoping to raise �1,000 for The Mulberry
A FIREFIGHTER will be taking part in the gruelling London Marathon on April 26 to raise money for a charity which supports his two-year-old son who has special needs.
Paul Smyth, 31, of Fieldfare Way in Royston, is hoping to raise �1,000 for The Mulberry Bush Appeal, which supports Danestrete Child Development Centre in Stevenage.
His son, Samuel, was born prematurely, weighing just two pounds. Paul said: "He has various special needs and uses the centre for physio and occupational therapy.
"He has benefited from their expertise and equipment, which are helping him to fulfil his potential.
You may also want to watch:
"By running the London Marathon I am hoping that I can raise a substantial amount of money so other little boys and girls can benefit from the same care that my Samuel does."
This is Paul's first marathon and he hopes to complete the course in less than four hours.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 9 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
The Barnet firefighter said his training is going well. "I'm running eight minute miles. I went out and did 18 miles in 2 hours 23 minutes, and I have to run 20 miles this Sunday."
To sponsor him, visit www.justgiving.com/paulsmyth2