Firefighter on the run for charity
A FIREFIGHTER will be taking part in the gruelling London Marathon on April 26 to raise money for a charity which supports his two-year-old son who has special needs. Paul Smyth, 31, of Fieldfare Way in Royston, is hoping to raise �1,000 for The Mulberry
A FIREFIGHTER will be taking part in the gruelling London Marathon on April 26 to raise money for a charity which supports his two-year-old son who has special needs.
Paul Smyth, 31, of Fieldfare Way in Royston, is hoping to raise �1,000 for The Mulberry Bush Appeal, which supports Danestrete Child Development Centre in Stevenage.
His son, Samuel, was born prematurely, weighing just two pounds. Paul said: "He has various special needs and uses the centre for physio and occupational therapy.
"He has benefited from their expertise and equipment, which are helping him to fulfil his potential.
"By running the London Marathon I am hoping that I can raise a substantial amount of money so other little boys and girls can benefit from the same care that my Samuel does."
This is Paul's first marathon and he hopes to complete the course in less than four hours.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
The Barnet firefighter said his training is going well. "I'm running eight minute miles. I went out and did 18 miles in 2 hours 23 minutes, and I have to run 20 miles this Sunday."
To sponsor him, visit www.justgiving.com/paulsmyth2