Royston and Cambridge firefighters called to Meldreth house blaze
PUBLISHED: 09:01 21 August 2018
Firefighters from Royston and Cambridge attended a house blaze in Meldreth yesterday evening – which started while two residents and their dogs were inside.
The fire started in the airing cupboard of a home in Gables Close at about 8.30pm.
The Royston crew arrived first and stopped the blaze spreading using breathing apparatus and hose reels.
The fire was confined to the bathroom, but the rest of the upstairs had suffered significant smoke damage. Fortunately, the residents and their dogs escaped unharmed.
Following the incident, Royston crew commander Steve Greaves – the officer in charge of the operation – spoke of the importance of having working smoke alarms.
He told the Crow: “When we visit people’s houses we always tell them of the importance of having a working smoke alarm and of closing internal doors as part of your night routine, not only does it protect your escape route but it also helps to reduce fire and smoke spread.
“In this instance if it wasn’t for the quick thinking of the house owner and the rapid action by firefighters, the situation may well have been much worse.”
Steve added that, upon further investigation, it was found to be an electrical fault in the airing cupboard that caused the fire.
Crews left the scene and returned to their stations at about 10.30pm.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.