Fire at Shepreth home
AN INVESTIGATION into a fire at a thatched house in Shepreth has found that the fire started accidentally.
The roof of the house in Frog End caught alight yesterday afternoon, and firefighters from eight crews were called.
Approximately a third of the roof was affected, and the occupier, who was out of the house at the time, was alerted by a passer-by.
The road was closed last night while the crews from Cambridge, Royston, Sawston, Gamlingay, Papworth, Huntingdon, Burwell and Baldock tackled the blaze.
Firefighters created a fire break in the roof, and distinguished flames at 5.10pm.
You may also want to watch:
The area was eventually left alone at 11.40pm, though crews returned through the night to check for remaining hot spots.
Incident Commander Richard Dykes said: “Firefighters have been working hard to create a fire break in the roof. This incident has demonstrated some excellent cross border work between crews from three counties.”
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 7 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 8 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
The investigation this morning showed that the most likely conclusion was that the fire started accidentally, and that it spread in the chimney.