Fire at Shepreth home
AN INVESTIGATION into a fire at a thatched house in Shepreth has found that the fire started accidentally.
The roof of the house in Frog End caught alight yesterday afternoon, and firefighters from eight crews were called.
Approximately a third of the roof was affected, and the occupier, who was out of the house at the time, was alerted by a passer-by.
The road was closed last night while the crews from Cambridge, Royston, Sawston, Gamlingay, Papworth, Huntingdon, Burwell and Baldock tackled the blaze.
Firefighters created a fire break in the roof, and distinguished flames at 5.10pm.
The area was eventually left alone at 11.40pm, though crews returned through the night to check for remaining hot spots.
Incident Commander Richard Dykes said: “Firefighters have been working hard to create a fire break in the roof. This incident has demonstrated some excellent cross border work between crews from three counties.”
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 8 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Community Rail Partnership encourages the use of public transport in Community Rail Week
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
The investigation this morning showed that the most likely conclusion was that the fire started accidentally, and that it spread in the chimney.