Fire at Shepreth home

PUBLISHED: 09:39 05 November 2010 | UPDATED: 11:43 05 November 2010

The fire at the home in Shepreth

The fire at the home in Shepreth

Archant

AN INVESTIGATION into a fire at a thatched house in Shepreth has found that the fire started accidentally.

The roof of the house in Frog End caught alight yesterday afternoon, and firefighters from eight crews were called.

Approximately a third of the roof was affected, and the occupier, who was out of the house at the time, was alerted by a passer-by.

The road was closed last night while the crews from Cambridge, Royston, Sawston, Gamlingay, Papworth, Huntingdon, Burwell and Baldock tackled the blaze.

Firefighters created a fire break in the roof, and distinguished flames at 5.10pm.

The area was eventually left alone at 11.40pm, though crews returned through the night to check for remaining hot spots.

Incident Commander Richard Dykes said: “Firefighters have been working hard to create a fire break in the roof. This incident has demonstrated some excellent cross border work between crews from three counties.”

The investigation this morning showed that the most likely conclusion was that the fire started accidentally, and that it spread in the chimney.

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists