Famous Chrishall resident Irene Cranwell to receive an early 100th birthday present
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall. The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday. A spokesman for the marketeers
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall.
The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday.
A spokesman for the marketeers said: "Mrs Cranwell's birthday isn't until February, but we thought we would make a celebratory presentation after the Christmas market.
"She will be the first centenarian of the village, as she is considered to be the oldest regular broadcaster in the country, which is no mean feat."
You may also want to watch:
A well known voice to listeners of Radio Cambridgeshire, Mrs Cranwell has been contributing to the Christopher South show for the last 21 years.
She first came to Chrishall when she was 18, and taught at the village school. She later went on to teach at Barkway School and Icknield Walk School, Royston.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 5 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
Also a former parish councillor, after retiring she opened the Chrishall museum with her son-in-law Fred Davies. She has also published a book about notable residents of the village, entitled Chrishall Folk.
Chrishall village market takes place from 4pm - 6pm on Saturday, December 12. The presentation will be made at 5pm.