Famous Chrishall resident Irene Cranwell to receive an early 100th birthday present
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall. The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday. A spokesman for the marketeers
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall.
The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday.
A spokesman for the marketeers said: "Mrs Cranwell's birthday isn't until February, but we thought we would make a celebratory presentation after the Christmas market.
"She will be the first centenarian of the village, as she is considered to be the oldest regular broadcaster in the country, which is no mean feat."
You may also want to watch:
A well known voice to listeners of Radio Cambridgeshire, Mrs Cranwell has been contributing to the Christopher South show for the last 21 years.
She first came to Chrishall when she was 18, and taught at the village school. She later went on to teach at Barkway School and Icknield Walk School, Royston.
- 1 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 6 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Also a former parish councillor, after retiring she opened the Chrishall museum with her son-in-law Fred Davies. She has also published a book about notable residents of the village, entitled Chrishall Folk.
Chrishall village market takes place from 4pm - 6pm on Saturday, December 12. The presentation will be made at 5pm.