Famous Chrishall resident Irene Cranwell to receive an early 100th birthday present
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall. The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday. A spokesman for the marketeers
RADIO personality Irene Cranwell is to receive an early 100th birthday present from her neighbours in Chrishall.
The Chrishall Marketeers will be making a presentation to the BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter this Saturday.
A spokesman for the marketeers said: "Mrs Cranwell's birthday isn't until February, but we thought we would make a celebratory presentation after the Christmas market.
"She will be the first centenarian of the village, as she is considered to be the oldest regular broadcaster in the country, which is no mean feat."
A well known voice to listeners of Radio Cambridgeshire, Mrs Cranwell has been contributing to the Christopher South show for the last 21 years.
She first came to Chrishall when she was 18, and taught at the village school. She later went on to teach at Barkway School and Icknield Walk School, Royston.
- 1 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 2 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 9 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Also a former parish councillor, after retiring she opened the Chrishall museum with her son-in-law Fred Davies. She has also published a book about notable residents of the village, entitled Chrishall Folk.
Chrishall village market takes place from 4pm - 6pm on Saturday, December 12. The presentation will be made at 5pm.