Family pets die in home blaze

PUBLISHED: 12:13 16 October 2008 | UPDATED: 15:53 11 May 2010

ONE of the windows blown out in the fire.

ONE of the windows blown out in the fire.

THREE family pets died when a house caught fire in Royston. Two dogs and a hamster were rescued from the house, on the corner of Chaucer Road and Burns Road, on Tuesday morning, and although a vet was called, they died at the scene. A third dog sustained

THREE family pets died when a house caught fire in Royston.

Two dogs and a hamster were rescued from the house, on the corner of Chaucer Road and Burns Road, on Tuesday morning, and although a vet was called, they died at the scene.

A third dog sustained serious injuries and is receiving treatment.

A spokesman for Hertfordshire fire service said: "We have carried out an investigation at the scene and found that the fire started accidentally, and stemmed from an electronic device."

The animals belonged to Mitchell Bailey and his wife Carol, who live in the house with their three daughters, Charlotte, Alice, and Georgina.

Mr Bailey said afterwards that the fire had gutted the upstairs of the house, causing smoke and water damage.

Windows were blown out in a bedroom at the rear of the house, while a conservatory was also damaged.

Firefighters were called to the house soon after 10am on Tuesday.

Four crews, two from Royston, one from Buntingford, and one from Letchworth, together with an incident support unit, arrived at the scene to find the detached two-storey property well alight.

Using two jets and a hose reel, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus brought the blaze under control, and it was extinguished by 11.55am.

Police were called in to control traffic while the fire was put out.

An ambulance was also present, although no-one was hurt in the blaze.

0 comments

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists