Family pay tribute to ‘loving’ Melbourn son after man sentenced for death by dangerous driving
- Credit: Archant
A family has paid tribute to their son after a man was found guilty of causing his death by dangerous driving.
Jack Mulcahy, 24, from Capulet Court, Huntingdon, was sentenced to four years and three months today for knocking over Alex Jeffery, 21, of Orchard Road, Melbourn in November after a dispute during a night out.
Alex had been on a night out in Cambridge and was waiting for a lift home in Downing Street when an argument broke out between his friends and a group that walked past.
The argument moved into the road, at which point Mulcahy drove towards the group.
After having a dispute with another member of the group who Alex did not know, Mulcahy then drove off. In doing so the car made a significant move to the left and in the process hit Alex, causing him to fall backwards and hit his head on the floor.
Alex died in Addenbrooke’s Hospital a week later from serious injuries.
The 24-year-old was sentenced at the Old Bailey. He has also received a five year driving disqualification.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Up on the roof: Choir sings from top of 163ft chapel tower at Cambridge college
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
Detective Sergeant Mark Devine, said: “Today sees the conclusion of a thorough investigation into the death of Alex Jeffery, which was brought before the court.
“Alex lost his life as the result of a senseless and callous act by Jack Mulcahy.
“Alex was simply trying to do the right thing by acting as peacemaker in a needless, drunken argument. Sadly, he paid the ultimate price.
“Mulcahy’s reckless actions show the devastating effects that dangerous driving can have.
“Today’s verdict cannot bring Alex back, but I hope it can help his family move towards gaining closure on this tragic event and see them begin to rebuild their lives.”
The family released the following statement: “On the morning of November 1, 2014, at 4.30am we didn’t realise how our lives were going to change, through no fault of ours, or of our loving son Alex.
“To have two police officers on our doorstep, telling us our son had been in a “hit and run”, was to be the start of the worst time of our lives.
“The arranging of a son’s funeral is something no parent should ever have to do, and the last ever sight of our beautiful son/brother/ friend in the chapel of rest, is forever fixed in our minds.
“Alex will always be remembered as a caring, loving, hard worker, with a great sense of humour and a promising career and life ahead of him, which was taken away far too soon.
“As a family we are extremely proud of Alex and what he achieved in his short life – he will forever be in our hearts.
“We, as a family, have found the whole experience of attending court for our son’s murder trial an extremely traumatic experience.
“None of us will overcome the loss of Alex, he was a special son, brother, grandson and friend to many. To lose Alex in this manner and then have a court case attached to his death has made the grieving process a public rather than private matter.
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support during this difficult period in our lives.”