Family fly out to be at son's bedside
THE family of a Royston man in intensive care after an accident in Australia have flown out to be at his bedside. Conrad Wellstead, 24, of Poplar Close, has been in an induced coma since an accident at Rainbow Beach, Queensland, on Tuesday last week. His
THE family of a Royston man in intensive care after an accident in Australia have flown out to be at his bedside.
Conrad Wellstead, 24, of Poplar Close, has been in an induced coma since an accident at Rainbow Beach, Queensland, on Tuesday last week.
His parents, Michael and Stephanie Wellstead, have flown out to Australia to be with him, while his girlfriend Claire Goodbody, who was travelling in Thailand, has joined them.
Melanie Wellstead, Conrad's sister, has remained in England.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "Conrad slipped and fell on Rainbow Beach, and became unconscious straight away.
"He was airlifted to Royal Brisbane Hospital where he remains in intensive care in an induced coma.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 3 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 4 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 5 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
"We don't know when he's going to come round - they've said it could be two weeks or two months. We're hoping to find out more in the next few days."
Mr Wellstead has lived in Royston all his life, and is a former employee at Johnson Matthey.
He had just celebrated his 24th birthday and was travelling with friends when the accident occurred.
"Conrad had been travelling for two months," said Miss Wellstead. "He was planning an eight-month trip to see the world."
Famed for its coloured sand cliffs and situated on the edge of the Great Sandy national park, Rainbow Beach is a popular destination for tourists.
Adding that it has been "a distressing time" for the family, Miss Welstead asked that supportive messages from concerned friends be directed through her, rather than Conrad's mum and dad.