Fairlands unable to fine late equaliser
Fairlands Youth Whites 3 Potton Colts 4 Under-13s Division Three FAIRLANDS last game was way back on December 12 so it seemed almost inevitable that they would have started this encounter slowly, except the hosts were the ones who scored first. After jus
Fairlands Youth Whites 3 Potton Colts 4
Under-13s Division Three
FAIRLANDS' last game was way back on December 12 so it seemed almost inevitable that they would have started this encounter slowly, except the hosts were the ones who scored first.
After just five minutes a through ball was chased down by the number nine who opened his body to slide the ball past the 'keeper, yet rather than take a strangle hold on the game they sat back and allowed Potton to attack.
You may also want to watch:
The equaliser came when a forceful shot was parried by Ryan Ballard and a poaching striker placed the ball into an empty net.
Potton began playing the better football and Fairlands did not look like creating many chances.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
- 8 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 9 A mental health first aider offers advice on coping during lockdown
- 10 Thriplow's Baroness Boothroyd slams government vaccine strategy
The visitors pressed and scored another two goals before half time, leaving their hosts in a tricky situation.
Potton were clearly faster and sharper than Fairlands, a fact attributed to the lack of match practice for the latter, and Potton scored their fourth when an excellent cross was met by an even better header to leave Ballard motionless.
Fairlands looked down and out but fought hard and this paid off when Daniel Keegan ran through on goal and fired past the 'keeper's right hand side.
Another through ball was met by Max Homewood and even though it looked offside the referee played on and the ball was poked past the 'keeper to make it 4-3.
There was too little time for Fairlands to equalise, though, but had put on a good display and fought hard throughout.