Fairlands go down to Letchworth
Fairlands Youth Whites 2 Letchworth GCE Reds 5 Fairlands looked to end their four-game streak without a win against strong opposition. The game began slowly with both teams not threatening the goal area too much. It was Letchworth who took advantage howe
Fairlands Youth Whites 2 Letchworth GCE Reds 5
Fairlands looked to end their four-game streak without a win against strong opposition.
The game began slowly with both teams not threatening the goal area too much. It was Letchworth who took advantage however when their striker ran onto a through ball and poked it under the Fairlands goalkeeper to make the score 1-0 to the visiting team.
This brought some life into Fairlands and they began to play some very impressive football, which at times would have beaten most defences in the league. This paid off fairly soon when good build up play resulted in a ball being played wide to Keegan.
You may also want to watch:
Keegan beat his opponent with ease and whipped in a great delivery for Bennett to calmly place the ball into the far side of the net. The home team took the lead several minutes later when a through ball once again was played to Keegan who raced past the Letchworth left back and smashed the ball across the goal to bury it in the far corner.
Letchworth nearly equalised with the last kick of the first half but an off the line clearance from Paulus meant Fairlands went into half time with the advantage.
- 1 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 2 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 3 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 4 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 5 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 6 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 7 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 8 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
The Fairlands players were asked to take this into the second half but relaxed a little too much, allowing pressure to be applied from the opposition.
Letchworth's number 10 was causing problems with his pace but he could not find the finishing touch to level the scores. With 20 minutes left and the score being 2-1 to Fairlands, it looked like they might snatch the three points but Letchworth's persistence paid off scoring two goals in quick succession.
With 10 minutes left, Letchworth killed the game at 4-2 but with Fairlands' head dropping, they snatched a fifth goal with minutes remaining.
Credit to both teams for working hard, but the scoreline did not reflect the nature of this game.
Five goals flattered the away team but they worked hard for the win. Fairlands can take some pride from the game with some good attractive football in the first half and is once again a platform to build on.