Extensive damage caused to Guilden Morden home after cigarette causes house fire

PUBLISHED: 14:15 26 June 2017 | UPDATED: 15:11 26 June 2017

The home in Guilden Morden after the fire at the weekend. Picture: Cambs FRS

The home in Guilden Morden after the fire at the weekend. Picture: Cambs FRS

Archant

A discarded cigarette caused extensive damage to a Guilden Morden family’s home at the weekend.

Fire crews from Royston, Baldock, Cambridge, Gamlingay, and St Neots were called to the blaze which started in the bedroom of the home in New Road just before 12pm on Saturday.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze from outside the property.

Although the fire was out in about half an hour, crews remained on the scene to damp down and ensure nothing was left smouldering.

They returned to their stations by 3.50pm.

A couple and their sons who live at the property were out of the house before fire crews arrived.

A spokeswoman for Cambs Fire and Rescue Service said: “Please ensure you extinguish cigarettes properly into a suitable ashtray and avoid smoking in bed or where you are likely to fall asleep.”

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists