Extensive damage caused to Guilden Morden home after cigarette causes house fire
- Credit: Archant
A discarded cigarette caused extensive damage to a Guilden Morden family’s home at the weekend.
Fire crews from Royston, Baldock, Cambridge, Gamlingay, and St Neots were called to the blaze which started in the bedroom of the home in New Road just before 12pm on Saturday.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze from outside the property.
Although the fire was out in about half an hour, crews remained on the scene to damp down and ensure nothing was left smouldering.
They returned to their stations by 3.50pm.
You may also want to watch:
A couple and their sons who live at the property were out of the house before fire crews arrived.
A spokeswoman for Cambs Fire and Rescue Service said: “Please ensure you extinguish cigarettes properly into a suitable ashtray and avoid smoking in bed or where you are likely to fall asleep.”
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 2 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 3 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 6 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 8 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 10 Candidates in North Herts prepare to stand for county council elections