Explosion at Johnson Matthey
THREE men were taken to hospital after an explosion at the Johnson Matthey chemical laboratory in Royston on Tuesday.
The men suffered injuries to the arms and faces, and ambulance crews from Royston and Letchworth were called, taking them to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.
The incident occurred when a glass vessel broke during a testing experiment just before 11.30am, at the headquarters of the catalysts, precious metals and fine chemicals specialists in Orchard Road.
Firefighters from Royston and Baldock were also called, as well as police.
A spokesman for Johnson Matthey said: “Three employees were treated at the scene for minor injuries and were subsequently taken to hospital as a precaution.
You may also want to watch:
“There was no environmental impact from the incident. A full investigation will be conducted into the incident and the relevant regulatory bodies will be informed.”
A police spokeswoman said: “Minor damage was called to the building.
- 1 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 6 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 9 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 10 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
“It was determined at the scene by fire officers that the incident had not been caused by a chemical leak.”
East of England Ambulance Service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “The three men involved received slight injuries to their arms and face.
“Following assessments at the scene by paramedics and HART (Hazardous Area Response Team) operatives, they were all conveyed to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridgeshire.”