Exhibition to show Memphis Belle history
AN exhibition showing the history of the legendary Memphis Belle is to open at the Tower Museum in Bassingbourn at the end of the month. Chris Murphy, who works at the museum and has been involved in setting up the exhibition, said the idea was to show th
AN exhibition showing the history of the legendary Memphis Belle is to open at the Tower Museum in Bassingbourn at the end of the month.
Chris Murphy, who works at the museum and has been involved in setting up the exhibition, said the idea was to show the life of the Memphis Belle from its beginning to its 25 missions during the Second World War.
He said that the museum had been loaned a number of important items relating to the Memphis Belle and its history at Bassingbourn, which was a US airfield during the war.
The exhibition will also be showing a documentary made during the war by the legendary Hollywood director William Wyler.
"The whole history of the Memphis Belle will be on display from the time it left the US to the time it returned after 25 missions to help in the US war bonds appeal," he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Murphy is also organising a hangar dance at Bassingbourn on Saturday, June 9.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
- 10 CADS committee cancel Royston's 2022 pantomime Snow White
The dance will capture the mood of the wartime years through the music of Glenn Miller, Arty Shaw, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.
The music will be performed by the Memphis Belle Swing Orchestra.