Exhibition to show Memphis Belle history
AN exhibition showing the history of the legendary Memphis Belle is to open at the Tower Museum in Bassingbourn at the end of the month. Chris Murphy, who works at the museum and has been involved in setting up the exhibition, said the idea was to show th
AN exhibition showing the history of the legendary Memphis Belle is to open at the Tower Museum in Bassingbourn at the end of the month.
Chris Murphy, who works at the museum and has been involved in setting up the exhibition, said the idea was to show the life of the Memphis Belle from its beginning to its 25 missions during the Second World War.
He said that the museum had been loaned a number of important items relating to the Memphis Belle and its history at Bassingbourn, which was a US airfield during the war.
The exhibition will also be showing a documentary made during the war by the legendary Hollywood director William Wyler.
You may also want to watch:
"The whole history of the Memphis Belle will be on display from the time it left the US to the time it returned after 25 missions to help in the US war bonds appeal," he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Murphy is also organising a hangar dance at Bassingbourn on Saturday, June 9.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
The dance will capture the mood of the wartime years through the music of Glenn Miller, Arty Shaw, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.
The music will be performed by the Memphis Belle Swing Orchestra.