‘Exactly how you’d want to spend a summer’s day’ – Organisers delighted with success of Meldreth Fete
- Credit: Clive Porter
The organiser of this weekend’s Meldreth Fete said the event went so well she couldn’t have asked for more.
Jane Remnant who organised the fete at Holy Trinity Parish Church with her husband Richard, said it was very well attended with plenty of family-friendly fun.
Mrs Remnant told the Crow: “It went absolutely brilliantly.
“We appealed to young families with children and that’s what we got, they had an absolute whale of a time.
“The feedback we’ve had has been fantastic, someone said if you can imagine a summer’s day this is exactly how you’d want to spend it.
“We had people come from much further than Meldreth. We were hoping to have an inclusive village event, not just people from the church, and we had people come along who hadn’t been to the churchyard before, so that was very nice.”
As well an auction, raffle, music and other entertainment, South Cambs MP Heidi Allen went along for a tug-of-war match with Melbourn and Bassingbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 6 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Town pays tribute to 'Mr Royston' who made huge contribution to community
- 10 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'
Mrs Remnant added: “We had a team of female politicians, versus a men’s team, but Heidi Allen’s husband Phil helped the ladies out, and they were on a downhill slope so they won – it was great fun.
“After the 4pm closing time, we had families still enjoying themselves – you can’t want for any more than that!” Mrs Remnant is looking for young people to join the fete committee to help with next year’s event – call 07702 632051 to find out more.