Euro MP backs Freedom Food scheme
- Credit: Archant
EURO MP Richard Howitt called in on a Crow country farm to deliver an important message on animal welfare.
Mr Howitt, MEP for the eastern region, visited Wimpole Hall Home Farm to witness the RSPCA’s Freedom Food scheme in action.
The visit was arranged after an alarming RSPCA study revealed that many people don’t know the basics about farming and where their food comes from.
“It’s no ‘yolk’ that people fail to understand where their food comes from and the lives of the animals that produce it,” said Mr Howitt, who is a vice president of the RSPCA.
“I support the campaign by Freedom Food – the RSPCA’s food labelling scheme – to help farm animals by finding out more about how they are reared and choose higher welfare labelled food such as Freedom Food, which means the farms have been monitored by the RSPCA.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s simple really - the more people choose higher welfare labels like Freedom Food, the more farmers will be encouraged to adopt higher welfare standards like at Home Farm and the more farm animals will have a better life.”
- 1 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 How effective is gritting roads in lockdown?
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 10 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP