Estate drainage 'inadequate'
FLOODING on the Twigden estate in Royston may have been caused by inadequate drainage, a councillor has claimed. Cllr Robert Smith told members of Royston Town Council s general purposes and highways committee on Monday evening that a recent rain storm
FLOODING on the Twigden estate in Royston may have been caused by "inadequate drainage," a councillor has claimed.
Cllr Robert Smith told members of Royston Town Council's general purposes and highways committee on Monday evening that a recent rain storm turned roads on to the estate into a river.
There were problems in Corvus Close, Pipit Close and Woodcock Road.
Cllr Smith said originally the design of the estate was for 230 less properties than have now been developed.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "The question is that with these extra homes was the drainage adequate?"
He said there was a problem, too, over rainwater gushing into Woodcock Road from the car park at the Royston Leisure Centre.
- 1 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 2 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 3 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 4 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
"It's a modern estate which should have modern drainage, but the flooding created a river," he said.
Those problems led to a site visit from district councillors, who have spoken to residents about the difficulties.
Royston's area committee chairman Cllr Fiona Hill told the meeting: "All points raised have been taken away and we are trying to find answers to the problem. We are trying to resolve the issue."
Members raised concerns, too, about other flooding problems around Royston.
Cllr Lindsay Davidson said: "When we have these conditions the drainage system every-where is going to be overwhelmed.
"A lot of money seems to have been spent on improving drainage, but it doesn't seem to have worked," she said.
And Cllr Elizabeth Beardwell said there was concern over the "lack of acceptance for the responsibility" of the town ditch.