England legend to open all weather pitch today
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston s new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston's new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the pitch, located at the Meridian School in Royston.
The pitch is now complete, and will be used by various sporting clubs from Crow Country, as well as the school itself. It comprises of a full size pitch, which can been sub-divided into three mini pitches for training purposes.
Funding for the pitch came from a number of sources, including the Johnson Matthey Sports and Social Club, and the Football Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation said: "We warmly congratulate Royston community, Meridian School and the Herts FA for their hard work and dedication in securing this award.
"Sport is playing a central role in helping people to stay fit, strengthen communities and promote responsibility amongst young people," he said.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 Royston Arts Festival committee overcomes COVID difficulties to bring back events
- 4 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 7 Barkway Lit Fest proves to be a real page-turner
- 8 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 9 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 10 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
Jenny Probert, the sports development officer at Meridian School said: "The new facility at Meridian School is going to be a great asset to Royston and I'm sure the whole community will benefit from it being here. It is great to be working on such an exciting project and I look forward to getting things started!