England legend to open all weather pitch today
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston s new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston's new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the pitch, located at the Meridian School in Royston.
The pitch is now complete, and will be used by various sporting clubs from Crow Country, as well as the school itself. It comprises of a full size pitch, which can been sub-divided into three mini pitches for training purposes.
Funding for the pitch came from a number of sources, including the Johnson Matthey Sports and Social Club, and the Football Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation said: "We warmly congratulate Royston community, Meridian School and the Herts FA for their hard work and dedication in securing this award.
"Sport is playing a central role in helping people to stay fit, strengthen communities and promote responsibility amongst young people," he said.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
Jenny Probert, the sports development officer at Meridian School said: "The new facility at Meridian School is going to be a great asset to Royston and I'm sure the whole community will benefit from it being here. It is great to be working on such an exciting project and I look forward to getting things started!