England legend to open all weather pitch today
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston s new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at
FOOTBALL legend Peter Shilton will officially open Royston's new �250,000 all-weather sports pitch today.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County goalkeeper Shilton, who holds a record number of 125 international caps for England, will cut the ribbon at the pitch, located at the Meridian School in Royston.
The pitch is now complete, and will be used by various sporting clubs from Crow Country, as well as the school itself. It comprises of a full size pitch, which can been sub-divided into three mini pitches for training purposes.
Funding for the pitch came from a number of sources, including the Johnson Matthey Sports and Social Club, and the Football Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation said: "We warmly congratulate Royston community, Meridian School and the Herts FA for their hard work and dedication in securing this award.
"Sport is playing a central role in helping people to stay fit, strengthen communities and promote responsibility amongst young people," he said.
- 1 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 2 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 3 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 4 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 5 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 6 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 7 Star turns make Netflix movie Malcolm & Marie 'a real must-see'
- 8 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 9 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
Jenny Probert, the sports development officer at Meridian School said: "The new facility at Meridian School is going to be a great asset to Royston and I'm sure the whole community will benefit from it being here. It is great to be working on such an exciting project and I look forward to getting things started!