Eleven cars targetted by vandals
Police ask residents to be on their guard
POLICE are on the look out for vandals who damaged 11 cars in the same night.
The offences occurred in three roads in Royston - Minster Road, Orchard Way, and Willowside Way.
A whole range of vehicles were targetted, seemingly at random, and in the majority of cases the offenders scratched paintwork on the vehicles but on two occasions, they damaged wing mirrors and in one case, snapped a wing mirror right off. They also dented the bodywork of two cars.
Pc Mark Ellwood from the Royston neighbourhood team is investigating the incidents.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “This type of crime series is extremely rare in Royston. Offences of criminal damage are actually reducing. To date this year, the figures are down 7.1 per cent - building on reductions of previous years.
“We are working hard to trace the offenders and ask the public if they have any information, no matter how small they might think it is, to get in touch.”
- 1 Woman in her 50s killed in crash between Melbourn and Royston
- 2 Road closed after 'serious' crash on A10
- 3 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 4 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 8 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 9 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 10 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
Anyone with information on the vandalism can contact Pc Ellwood by calling 0845 33 00 222 and quoting reference G4/10/416. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Police are also advising residents to make sure they do as much as they can to keep their vehicle secure. A range of crime prevention tips are available online at www.herts.police.uk.
Earlier this month The Crow reported on the case of Jim Chamberlain, of Willowside Way, Royston. He has had his car flipped onto it’s roof three times by vandals in the last few months. The last occasion saw the windscreen of the vehicle smashed, leaving disabled pensioner Mr Chamberlain virtually housebound while it is repaired.