Eighty-seven jobs may go at cement works
EIGHTY-SEVEN jobs could be on the line after plans to close a cement works were announced. The Barrington cement plant is to be shut down as part of cost cutting measures being put in place by owners Cemex. Gonzalo Galindo, president of Cemex UK, said: T
EIGHTY-SEVEN jobs could be on the line after plans to close a cement works were announced.
The Barrington cement plant is to be shut down as part of cost cutting measures being put in place by owners Cemex.
Gonzalo Galindo, president of Cemex UK, said: "The current economic climate has driven us to implement efficiencies in all areas of our business, and the closure of Barrington's kiln could help to secure the future of our cement manufacturing business in the UK.
"We will uphold our obligations to this site, including any future restoration commitments."
Under the plans the site would remain operational during the first quarter of 2009. After that it may be turned into a distribution centre, though it is thought this would require only 10 staff.
Cllr Sebastian Kindersley, who represents Barrington on Cambridgeshire County Council, said the announcement had come as a "major shock" to local people.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
He added: "I am very worried about the impact this will have, and my thoughts go out to those families affected at this difficult time.