Eighty-seven jobs may go at cement works
EIGHTY-SEVEN jobs could be on the line after plans to close a cement works were announced. The Barrington cement plant is to be shut down as part of cost cutting measures being put in place by owners Cemex. Gonzalo Galindo, president of Cemex UK, said: T
EIGHTY-SEVEN jobs could be on the line after plans to close a cement works were announced.
The Barrington cement plant is to be shut down as part of cost cutting measures being put in place by owners Cemex.
Gonzalo Galindo, president of Cemex UK, said: "The current economic climate has driven us to implement efficiencies in all areas of our business, and the closure of Barrington's kiln could help to secure the future of our cement manufacturing business in the UK.
"We will uphold our obligations to this site, including any future restoration commitments."
You may also want to watch:
Under the plans the site would remain operational during the first quarter of 2009. After that it may be turned into a distribution centre, though it is thought this would require only 10 staff.
Cllr Sebastian Kindersley, who represents Barrington on Cambridgeshire County Council, said the announcement had come as a "major shock" to local people.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 8 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
He added: "I am very worried about the impact this will have, and my thoughts go out to those families affected at this difficult time.