Duxford will make Spitfire anniversary a day to treasure
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day. Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day.
Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: "The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as well as in this country's history.
"It is only right that 70 years after its first flight, the Spitfire is commemorated.
"As an aircraft, its design is iconic. It was very advanced for its time and retains a timeless grace."
You may also want to watch:
The day will feature a selection of classic Spitfires and visitors will also get the chance to meet former and current Spitfire pilots, as well as witnessing an air display.
A series of short talks will be presented during the day with guest speakers attending. Author and historian Michael Bowyer will give a lecture on the development and adaptation of the aircraft and its engine, while Air Commodore Peter Thorne will talk about the flying performances of the Spitfire.
- 1 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 6 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 7 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 8 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 9 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
Spitfire Day will be taking place on Sunday, August 13 and will be followed by a Spitfire Anniversary Air Show weekend that will start on Saturday, September 3.
- For more details call 01223 835000 or visit www.iwm.org.uk/duxford