Duxford will make Spitfire anniversary a day to treasure
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day. Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day.
Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: "The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as well as in this country's history.
"It is only right that 70 years after its first flight, the Spitfire is commemorated.
"As an aircraft, its design is iconic. It was very advanced for its time and retains a timeless grace."
The day will feature a selection of classic Spitfires and visitors will also get the chance to meet former and current Spitfire pilots, as well as witnessing an air display.
A series of short talks will be presented during the day with guest speakers attending. Author and historian Michael Bowyer will give a lecture on the development and adaptation of the aircraft and its engine, while Air Commodore Peter Thorne will talk about the flying performances of the Spitfire.
- 1 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 2 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 7 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 8 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 9 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 10 Royston drama group CADS wins new play award for The Blonde Bombshell at Welwyn festival
Spitfire Day will be taking place on Sunday, August 13 and will be followed by a Spitfire Anniversary Air Show weekend that will start on Saturday, September 3.
- For more details call 01223 835000 or visit www.iwm.org.uk/duxford