Duxford will make Spitfire anniversary a day to treasure
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day. Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as
TO celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire the Imperial War Museum in Duxford will be holding a commemoration day.
Tracey Wood, marketing and PR manager at Duxford, said: "The Spitfire has a special place in the hearts and minds of many people, as well as in this country's history.
"It is only right that 70 years after its first flight, the Spitfire is commemorated.
"As an aircraft, its design is iconic. It was very advanced for its time and retains a timeless grace."
You may also want to watch:
The day will feature a selection of classic Spitfires and visitors will also get the chance to meet former and current Spitfire pilots, as well as witnessing an air display.
A series of short talks will be presented during the day with guest speakers attending. Author and historian Michael Bowyer will give a lecture on the development and adaptation of the aircraft and its engine, while Air Commodore Peter Thorne will talk about the flying performances of the Spitfire.
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 4 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 9 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 10 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
Spitfire Day will be taking place on Sunday, August 13 and will be followed by a Spitfire Anniversary Air Show weekend that will start on Saturday, September 3.
- For more details call 01223 835000 or visit www.iwm.org.uk/duxford