Duxford War Museum to host last reunion of Normandy Veterans
A WAR museum is hosting the last mass reunion of the Normandy Veterans. The Imperial War Museum at Duxford is hosting the event in the 65th anniversary year of the D-Day landings with more than 1,000 veterans and guests expected to be in attendance. Visit
A WAR museum is hosting the last mass reunion of the Normandy Veterans.
The Imperial War Museum at Duxford is hosting the event in the 65th anniversary year of the D-Day landings with more than 1,000 veterans and guests expected to be in attendance.
Visitors to Duxford will be able to chat to the veterans about their wartime experiences and they will also be able to enjoy a marching display by air cadets.
There will be a flying display by The Blades, comprised of pilots who were formerly with The Red Arrows with over 20 collective years of display experience and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will also perform a flypast by a Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane.
You may also want to watch:
The day will conclude with a sunset ceremony where the Central Band of the Royal Air Force will Beat the Retreat and fallen comrades are remembered in time-honoured tradition.
The Normandy Veterans Association was formed in 1981 to encourage the 1944 spirit of comradeship irrespective of rank or social position.
- 1 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 2 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 3 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 4 How effective is gritting roads in lockdown?
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 8 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 9 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 10 County 'extremely grateful' for chief fire officer's 30-year service
Peter Hodge, honorary general secretary to The Normandy Veterans Association, said: "Nostalgia of previous events at Duxford ensured this to be the preferred location for the last en-masse gathering of veterans who have contributed to The Normandy Veterans Association, the most extensive and successful veteran association in the world."
The reunion takes place on Sunday, September 13.
Standard admission to the museum applies on this day but there is no extra charge for experiencing this event.
For more information call (01223) 835000.