Duxford’s Meet The Fighters weekend leaves visitors flying high
- Credit: IWM
Thousands of visitors enjoyed a thrilling weekend at IWM Duxford for their Meet The Fighters Air Show.
Organisers transported spectators back in their commemoration of the the 80th anniversaries of the formation of Fighter Command and the first flight of the Spitfire with a display which showcased the speed and agility of historic fighter aircraft.
Other activities and attractions included the chance to see a cutting-edge Boeing Insitu ScanEagle, displayed in the American Air Museum by permission of Boeing.
There were living history groups representing the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, and talks by Col Richard Graham about flying the SR-71 Blackbird next to the aircraft he flew – which is on display in the American Air Museum.
The Bluebird Belles, Pete Wayre and the RAF Wyton Band provided musical entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
IWM Duxford’s Esther Blaine said: “Up to 25,000 visitors enjoyed the weekend.
“On Saturday there were inclement conditions to deal with which meant our full flying programme couldn’t go ahead, but there were lots of land activities taking place.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 3 County council elections round-up for North Herts
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 8 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 9 Conservative David Lloyd re-elected as Herts Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
“On Sunday our full flying programme went ahead in the glorious sunshine and everyone had a lovely day.”