Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- Credit: South Cambridgeshire District Council
Construction on a 168-bed hotel at Duxford's Imperial War Museum has been given the go-ahead after a re-vote.
South Cambridgeshire district councillors approved plans for the Hampton by Hilton hotel at a meeting on Wednesday, June 9.
Permission to build the hotel was first granted in June 2020, but officers brought plans back to councillors after they ruled the first consultation was not broad enough.
John Brown, IWM's Executive Director, told councillors the plans could help establish Duxford as a multi-day tourist destination in its own right.
He added: "It is the case for creating future additional business which is really compelling.
"The overnight accommodation will enable us to develop new markets by expanding our extensive conferencing facilities to offer multi-day events, and support the development of high-tech aviation businesses at Duxford."
You may also want to watch:
IWM proposed a hotel at its Duxford campus in its 2016 masterplan.
Eight out of 11 councillors voted to approve the plans.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?