Drivers warned after acid spillage on A10
- Credit: Archant
DRIVERS who used the A10 this morning are being urged to check their vehicles after an acid spillage.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning after they were called to reports of a strange substance leaking onto the road at Harston, between Royston and Cambridge.
A member of the public dialled 999 after spotting a burst five litre petrol can on the side of the road.
Firefighters arrived at about 7am and tested the substance and determined that it was a small amount of concentrated acid. It is not known where the container came from.
Crews used absorbant granules to try and soak up the liquid, which had already started to eat through the tarmac. They then left the incident in the hands of the Police and contacted the Environment Agency and the Highways Agency to make the road safe.
You may also want to watch:
Bruce Parcell, Station Commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “If anyone has driven through this liquid, they may have small quantities of the acid on their car.
“We would advise motorists to put on some robust gloves and spray their car with water and detergent to try and remove the residue. Otherwise it could start to eat away at the paintwork of their vehicle.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 5 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
“Motorists should take care not to get the residue on their hands, as it could start burning. If this happens, they should seek medical attention or contact the NHS on 111.”