Driver seriously hurt as crash closes A505
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday). The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway sout
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday).
The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway south of the Little Chef roundabout at the junction to Litlington.
Firefighters from Royston and Baldock used cutting equipment to free the badly injured driver who was also tended by an off-duty paramedic.
He was taken to Lister Hospital, where Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the Herts and Bed Ambulance Service said: "The driver sustained life-threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
"One car went into a ditch and the other remained on the dual carriageway."
The driver of the other vehicle is understood to have suffered only minor injuries.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
A police spokesman said the A505 was likely to remain closed for some considerable time while an investigation into the incident was carried out.
Police warned drivers to avoid the A505 if at all possible, and take alternative routes to Royston or other towns and villages on the A505 corridor.