Driver seriously hurt as crash closes A505
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday). The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway sout
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday).
The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway south of the Little Chef roundabout at the junction to Litlington.
Firefighters from Royston and Baldock used cutting equipment to free the badly injured driver who was also tended by an off-duty paramedic.
He was taken to Lister Hospital, where Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the Herts and Bed Ambulance Service said: "The driver sustained life-threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
"One car went into a ditch and the other remained on the dual carriageway."
The driver of the other vehicle is understood to have suffered only minor injuries.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
A police spokesman said the A505 was likely to remain closed for some considerable time while an investigation into the incident was carried out.
Police warned drivers to avoid the A505 if at all possible, and take alternative routes to Royston or other towns and villages on the A505 corridor.