Driver seriously hurt as crash closes A505
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday). The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway sout
A DRIVER suffered life threatening injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a two vehicle accident that closed the A505 between Baldock and Royston this afternoon (Monday).
The cars were in collision on the northbound carriageway south of the Little Chef roundabout at the junction to Litlington.
Firefighters from Royston and Baldock used cutting equipment to free the badly injured driver who was also tended by an off-duty paramedic.
He was taken to Lister Hospital, where Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the Herts and Bed Ambulance Service said: "The driver sustained life-threatening injuries.
"One car went into a ditch and the other remained on the dual carriageway."
The driver of the other vehicle is understood to have suffered only minor injuries.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 7 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
A police spokesman said the A505 was likely to remain closed for some considerable time while an investigation into the incident was carried out.
Police warned drivers to avoid the A505 if at all possible, and take alternative routes to Royston or other towns and villages on the A505 corridor.