Driver admits causing death of Royston three-year-old

A 58-YEAR-OLD man has pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving after hitting and killing a Royston toddler.

Carlo Zambonini, of Old North Road, entered the plea at Cambridge Crown Court on Friday and will be sentenced next month.

Zambonini was driving a red Mazda sports car on May 29 last year when he hit three-year-old Frances Chin as she walked with her sister and mother down Kneesworth Street.

She later died of her injuries in hospital.

In a statement released to the press after her death her parents said they had been “destroyed”.

“Frances was our life when she was born she was another gift in addition to our daughter Chloe,” they said.

Judge Jonathon Haworth said there was a “strong likelihood” Zambonini would face a custodial sentence.

Most Read

Causing death by dangerous driving carries a maximum prison term of 14 years.

Zambonini was bailed under the condition he does not enter Royston and does not make contact with the family.

He was hauled in front of Stevenage Magistrates Court on Saturday morning after breaching his bail by entering Royston on Friday night and was arrested.

Zambonini was released with the same bail conditions to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on March 12.

A charge of causing death by dangerous driving while under the influence of alcohol was dropped from Friday’s indictment and he was given an interim driving ban.