Donor steps in after charity box theft
A MYSTERY donor has replaced the money from a charity collection box after it was stolen. The Children s Society money box was taken from Cambridge Wine, in Kneesworth Street, Royston. But now the shop s owner Lisa Pilgrim has received an anonymous donati
A MYSTERY donor has replaced the money from a charity collection box after it was stolen.
The Children's Society money box was taken from Cambridge Wine, in Kneesworth Street, Royston.
But now the shop's owner Lisa Pilgrim has received an anonymous donation of �10 in the post.
She said: "It was a very nice and unexpected gesture from a member of the public and means we can now give this very worthy cause the money that it rightfully deserves.
You may also want to watch:
"Fortunately there wasn't much cash in the box when it was stolen, as the charity had just made a collection, but there were still a few pounds in there that they wouldn't have otherwise received."
The theft took place last Wednesday at about 11.30am. The smashed remnants of the box were found in the road after the incident, together with some copper coins.
- 1 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 2 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 5 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 6 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 Mass vaccination centre in town 'first' to open next week
- 10 Campaigners write to MPs opposing trade deal which is of 'great concern to local people'
Lisa said: "The police have been very helpful, and luckily we captured the whole incident on our closed circuit television."
Hertfordshire police have charged a 35-year-old-man with theft of a charity box.
n This is not the first time that charity boxes in Crow country have been stolen in recent months.
In November three collection tins were taken from stores in Steeple Morden, Bassingbourn, and Melbourn.