Dog poos painted red as part of crackdown in Royston park
- Credit: Archant
The persistent problem of dog fouling in one Royston park has meant the grounds have been targeted for a pilot project.
A total of 116 poos in York Way Recreation Ground were sprayed red to make them easier to avoid and to highlight the impact the mess has in the area.
The poos were then removed at the end of the project, which ran from the end of March to the end of April.
The trial, carried out by North Herts District Council, resulted in the reduction of dog fouling in the park and generated positive feedback.
The council’s next target will be the park in the Jackmans Estate in Letchworth.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Bernard Lovewell, responsible for environmental health, said: “Most dog owners are very responsible and do pick up after their pets, but some people ignore the rules and this creates a problem for everyone.
“It is not only unpleasant, but potentially harmful as dog faeces can contain a parasitic worm, which if transferred to humans can result in blindness.
- 1 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 2 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 3 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 4 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 5 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 6 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition
- 7 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 8 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 9 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 10 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
“We are pleased that the spraying trial has been a success and hope it will make a difference in the Jackmans Estate park too”.
To report people who fail to clean up after their dogs, call 01462 474000, email email@example.com or report online at www.north-herts.gov.uk via the Do It Online self serve portal.