Dog fouling causing a stink outside Tannery Drift School in Royston
DOG fouling outside a Royston school is causing a stink for pupils. Staff at Tannery Drift School in Royston have noticed an increase in the amount of mess in the road immediately outside the school entrance, and have warned that irresponsible dog owners
DOG fouling outside a Royston school is causing a stink for pupils.
Staff at Tannery Drift School in Royston have noticed an increase in the amount of mess in the road immediately outside the school entrance, and have warned that irresponsible dog owners are putting pupils lives at risk.
Elaine Phillips, office manager at Tannery Drift, explained: "It's all along Tannery Drift and it's a real problem, especially when there are a lot of leaves on the ground as well.
"The pupils either traipse into school with it on their feet, or they have to go into the road to avoid it, which is obviously quite dangerous.
"And the problem has certainly been getting worse lately, although it's been happening for quite a while. We've notice a lot more complaints from parents about this in recent weeks, it's not very pleasant," she said.
North Herts District Council has urged Crow Country residents to think about others and clear up mess their pet makes in a public place.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 6 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 7 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 9 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 10 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
The district council provides 350 dog bins around the area for members of the public to use, and these are emptied weekly.
A spokesman for the district council said: "Most dog owners carry plastic bags to pick up their dogs' mess and use the bins provided or take it home to put in their refuse bin.
"But there are always some irresponsible members of the public who let their dogs foul the pavement or public spaces."
Dog fouling is an offence that carries a �1,000 fine. It can lead to host of health problems, including toxocariasis, which causes blindness.
Cllr Lynda Needham, portfolio holder for waste and recycling at the district council, said: "Dog fouling is a particularly unpleasant and anti-social crime. Everyone should be able to use public spaces and walk along pavements without the risk of treading in something very unsavoury.
"We do urge members of the public to be responsible. We don't want to be heavy handed and prosecute, but we will if absolutely necessary," she said.
Anyone aware of a persistent problem can contact the animal welfare officer on 01462 474 000 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.