Doctor is given two-month suspension
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient. A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they foun
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient.
A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they found that he abused his position, and did not act in the best interests of a patient.
While working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a female patient, known as Ms KT, a string of emails and text messages in a bid to attract her. He also bought the woman gifts, and invited her to a rugby match.
Explaining its decision, the panel said: "The Panel considers that, while this may have a punitive effect, it is necessary to send a signal to you, the public, and the profession, which properly declares and upholds the standards expected of a medical practitioner.
"The Panel considers it necessary to mark its disapproval of your misconduct and indicate that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
However, they also recognised that Dr Goodchild-Simpson is "fundamentally a good doctor," and added: "Despite the difficulties you have experienced, it is impressed by the strong testimonials produced in your support.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
"It is clear from these that your professional colleagues understand your previous problems and have been informed of the circumstances of this case, yet still wish to support you."
Dr Goodchild-Simpson has 28 days to appeal the decision.