Doctor is given two-month suspension
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient. A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they foun
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient.
A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they found that he abused his position, and did not act in the best interests of a patient.
While working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a female patient, known as Ms KT, a string of emails and text messages in a bid to attract her. He also bought the woman gifts, and invited her to a rugby match.
Explaining its decision, the panel said: "The Panel considers that, while this may have a punitive effect, it is necessary to send a signal to you, the public, and the profession, which properly declares and upholds the standards expected of a medical practitioner.
"The Panel considers it necessary to mark its disapproval of your misconduct and indicate that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
However, they also recognised that Dr Goodchild-Simpson is "fundamentally a good doctor," and added: "Despite the difficulties you have experienced, it is impressed by the strong testimonials produced in your support.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
"It is clear from these that your professional colleagues understand your previous problems and have been informed of the circumstances of this case, yet still wish to support you."
Dr Goodchild-Simpson has 28 days to appeal the decision.