Doctor is given two-month suspension
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient. A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they foun
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient.
A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they found that he abused his position, and did not act in the best interests of a patient.
While working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a female patient, known as Ms KT, a string of emails and text messages in a bid to attract her. He also bought the woman gifts, and invited her to a rugby match.
Explaining its decision, the panel said: "The Panel considers that, while this may have a punitive effect, it is necessary to send a signal to you, the public, and the profession, which properly declares and upholds the standards expected of a medical practitioner.
You may also want to watch:
"The Panel considers it necessary to mark its disapproval of your misconduct and indicate that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
However, they also recognised that Dr Goodchild-Simpson is "fundamentally a good doctor," and added: "Despite the difficulties you have experienced, it is impressed by the strong testimonials produced in your support.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 8 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
"It is clear from these that your professional colleagues understand your previous problems and have been informed of the circumstances of this case, yet still wish to support you."
Dr Goodchild-Simpson has 28 days to appeal the decision.