Doctor faces hearing over patient
A DOCTOR stands accused of abusing his position after bombarding a female patient with gifts, emails and text messages. The General Medical Council today (Monday) began a fitness to practice hearing into whether Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson abused a posit
A DOCTOR stands accused of abusing his position after bombarding a female patient with gifts, emails and text messages.
The General Medical Council today (Monday) began a fitness to practice hearing into whether Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson abused a position of trust, and whether or not he acted in the best interests of a patient.
It is alleged that, while working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a string of text messages and emails to a female patient known as Ms KT.
On August 21, 2007, he wrote to the patient after an appointment with follow-up information, and included his personal e-mail address and the fact that he was single. He followed this up with an email, which included his mobile telephone number.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the woman rejecting his advances, he is said to have invited her to attend a rugby match with him at Twickenham, emailed her pictures taken while she was out riding a horse, and left a rugby shirt for her at a local florist.
Although he was warned by a colleague and an officer from Herts police to desist from contacting Ms KT, Dr Goodchild-Simpson continued to do so over a four-month period.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 8 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Annual arts festival gets go-ahead after cancellation of much-loved events
The hearing is expected to last four days.