District council among tax leaders
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax. And the district council s collection rate is leading the way in the county. Last year the district
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax.
And the district council's collection rate is leading the way in the county.
Last year the district council collected 98.8 per cent of Council Tax payments and 99.6 per cent of business rates.
In all, the district council collected £64 million in Council Tax and £51 million from business rates.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Vicky Ford, portfolio holder for resources, said: "The district council has the lowest Council Tax in the county and we want to keep it as low as possible.
"We believe that those who are able to pay should do so," she said. "Tax evasion is unfair as it pushes up the costs for those people who legally pay their tax."
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
Cllr Ford said that the collection team "deserve praise" for it "excellent work".