District council among tax leaders
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax. And the district council s collection rate is leading the way in the county. Last year the district
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax.
And the district council's collection rate is leading the way in the county.
Last year the district council collected 98.8 per cent of Council Tax payments and 99.6 per cent of business rates.
In all, the district council collected £64 million in Council Tax and £51 million from business rates.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Vicky Ford, portfolio holder for resources, said: "The district council has the lowest Council Tax in the county and we want to keep it as low as possible.
"We believe that those who are able to pay should do so," she said. "Tax evasion is unfair as it pushes up the costs for those people who legally pay their tax."
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
Cllr Ford said that the collection team "deserve praise" for it "excellent work".