District council among tax leaders
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax. And the district council s collection rate is leading the way in the county. Last year the district
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax.
And the district council's collection rate is leading the way in the county.
Last year the district council collected 98.8 per cent of Council Tax payments and 99.6 per cent of business rates.
In all, the district council collected £64 million in Council Tax and £51 million from business rates.
Cllr Vicky Ford, portfolio holder for resources, said: "The district council has the lowest Council Tax in the county and we want to keep it as low as possible.
"We believe that those who are able to pay should do so," she said. "Tax evasion is unfair as it pushes up the costs for those people who legally pay their tax."
- 1 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
Cllr Ford said that the collection team "deserve praise" for it "excellent work".