District council among tax leaders
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax. And the district council s collection rate is leading the way in the county. Last year the district
NEW Government league tables show that South Cambridgeshire District is one of the leading authorities in the country for the collection of Council Tax.
And the district council's collection rate is leading the way in the county.
Last year the district council collected 98.8 per cent of Council Tax payments and 99.6 per cent of business rates.
In all, the district council collected £64 million in Council Tax and £51 million from business rates.
Cllr Vicky Ford, portfolio holder for resources, said: "The district council has the lowest Council Tax in the county and we want to keep it as low as possible.
"We believe that those who are able to pay should do so," she said. "Tax evasion is unfair as it pushes up the costs for those people who legally pay their tax."
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 5 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 6 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Cllr Ford said that the collection team "deserve praise" for it "excellent work".