Distraction burglaries down by more than half
DISTRACTION burglaries have halved in Hertfordshire following a police campaign. Herts Police have revealed that 75 fewer distraction crimes have been committed in the county during the first quarter of the policing year when compared to the same period i
DISTRACTION burglaries have halved in Hertfordshire following a police campaign.
Herts Police have revealed that 75 fewer distraction crimes have been committed in the county during the first quarter of the policing year when compared to the same period in 2008. This represents a reduction of more than 50 per cent.
Officers on the police's Operation Manhunt initiative, which has targeted distraction burglaries and rogue traders, are encouraged by the results.
Det Chf Insp Paul Williamson, who leads the Operation Manhunt team, said: "We've been working hard to spread crime prevention advice to the community and the message is getting through. People are being more vigilant and not letting these con men into their homes, and we've had a marked increase in reports to our control room from people reporting suspicious callers."
You may also want to watch:
"We rely on immediate information from residents to be able to apprehend these criminals and I'd thank people for their calls. I would urge people to continue to report suspicious callers - they should never feel like they are bothering the police."
If you have information about a crime, or would like to report a suspicious incident, contact the police on 0845 3300 222, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 6 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 7 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 8 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'