Descriptions issued after street attack
POLICE have issued descriptions of two men involved in a street attack outside a village supermarket.
The attack then spilled into the shop, the Co-op in High Street, Melbourn, resulting in it looking as if “a bomb had hit it.”
The victim of the attack was waiting outside the Co-op in Melbourn High Street at around 9.15pm last Saturday, when he was set-upon by three men in their late 20s.
He ran into the supermarket to defend himself but was followed by the three men.
They then brawled, using wine and beer bottles and other products to hit and throw at each other.
Scared staff then called the police but the attackers had fled before they arrived.
A man who didn’t want to be named but arrived at the store just after the incident said the shop had been devastated by the incident.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
“When I arrived it looked as though a bomb had hit it,” said the Melbourn resident. “There was debris lying everywhere – smashed wine and beer bottles, toilet rolls, chocolate bars – you name it.
“The shop assistant said they men had just left by the time I arrived but they both had blood running down their faces.
“I had only popped out to buy a loaf of bread so it wasn’t really what I was expecting.”
Police have descriptions of two of the men that attacked the victim.
One was white, in his late 20s, about 5ft 9in with short, balding dark hair and short facial hair. He was wearing a blue and white checked long-sleeved shirt, blue faded jeans and white trainers.
The second was also white, in his late 20s and had short dark hair. He was of a slim build, wore a black jacket, a light coloured shirt and blue jeans.
A third man, who was with the attackers, does not have a description.
A spokesperson for The Co-operative said: “An incident occurred at 9.15pm on Saturday April 16 in our Co-operative Food store on the High Street, Melbourn.
“Three men were involved in a scuffle, which began outside the store. No staff were injured or involved. CCTV has been passed to the police who are investigating the incident.”
If anyone has any information about the incident, they should call Cambridgeshire Police on 0345 456 456 4.
The same store was hit by a knifepoint robbery on March 21, when staff were threatened and cigarettes were stolen.